Popular lab-grown gemstone varieties
Most popular (and relatively expensive) gemstones – including diamonds – have lab-grown alternatives.
Why choose a lab-created alternative?
We can supply you with lab-grown versions of many popular ring gemstones. Our customers choose these over natural versions for several reasons including:
- Personal ethics – they prefer not to support mining operations
- Budget – man-made stones are often significantly cheaper
- Consistency of colour
- Availability – for example, good quality, ethically-sourced emeralds are almost impossible to come by
The most commonly used synthetics are:
- Moissanite – ‘the’ diamond alternative
- Laboratory-created diamonds
- Synthetic sapphires, rubies, emeralds and others
Whilst still far from mainstream in Australia, lab-grown diamonds are starting to get some traction in the ethical jewellery world.
If your heart is set on a diamond, but your wallet and ethics aren’t on the same page, then this may be the thing for you.
Identical in appearance
Laboratory-grown diamonds are, for all intents and purposes, identical chemically, physically and optically to mined diamonds.
Importantly, they have a much smaller carbon footprint and, unlike many mined diamonds on the market, they can be traced to their origin.
Here you can learn more about lab-grown diamonds.
And if you’d like to know more about what’s going on in the market, take a look at our recent blog post on the subject.