Popular lab-grown gemstone varieties
A laboratory-grown gemstone is the same as its natural counterpart, just created in a different place.
Most popular (and relatively expensive) gemstones – including diamonds – have lab-grown alternatives.
Why choose a lab-created alternative?
We can supply you with lab-grown versions of many popular ring gemstones. Our customers choose these over natural versions for several reasons including:
- Personal ethics – they prefer not to support mining operations
- Budget – man-made stones are often significantly cheaper
- Consistency of colour
- Availability – for example, good quality, ethically-sourced emeralds are almost impossible to come by
The most commonly used synthetics are:
- Moissanite – ‘the’ diamond alternative
- Laboratory-created diamonds
- Synthetic sapphires, rubies, emeralds and others
Whilst still far from mainstream in Australia, lab-grown diamonds are starting to get some traction in the ethical jewellery world.
If your heart is set on a diamond, but your wallet and ethics aren’t on the same page, then this may be the thing for you.
Identical in appearance
Laboratory-grown diamonds are, for all intents and purposes, identical chemically, physically and optically to mined diamonds.
Importantly, they have a much smaller carbon footprint and, unlike many mined diamonds on the market, they can be traced to their origin.
If you’d like to know more about what’s going on in the market, take a look at our recent blog post on the subject.
If you’d like to see a direct comparison between a lab-grown and mined diamond, check out this article.
And for more detailed information, visit our page on the subject of lab-grown diamonds: